Does Your Michigan Business Need a Blog? The Dos and Don’ts of Michigan Business Blogging
Michigan business owners in search of better exposure for their companies hear plenty about the value of online marketing. Most are well aware that creating engaging video content and having a presence on every digital platform available is imperative. Finding the time or funds to create and maintain a blog is also important, or so say legions of would-be social marketing experts.
Do you really need a blog to have a successful online presence? The answer is: only if it’s rewarding to you and provides value to your customers.
Blogging is About Value
In the earliest days of internet marketing, your business could hardly get by without a blog. That was how you reached out to your customers and established your brand of doing business. It was how you made yourself seen and heard online.
Today, social media platforms provide this potential for visibility, and blogs have shifted focus to increasing traffic to your website through carefully selected SEO keywords. Today’s blogs also provide a long-form pathway for providing your clients with extra information, and another place for them to interact with your company.
A blog should always provide value. For you, the value comes in the form of additional website traffic, higher visibility, and increased sales. For your customers, the value comes in the form of knowledge, from the well of your expertise. It’s less about volume than it is about what you bring to the table.
To Blog or Not to Blog – Value Over Volume
If your business already maintains a blog, you can evaluate its success by reviewing your site’s analytics. This data should tell you if your blog sees enough visitors to make it worth your while. It should also tell you if the blog is enticing visitors to travel to other areas on your site, where they could convert to customers instead of window shoppers.
Instead of worrying about the volume of blog posts, save pertinent resources and topic ideas for when you see a clear need to post. Utilize keyword research or consult with an SEO specialist to locate content gaps where you can serve your audience best and create blog ideas from these subjects.
The Dos of Blogging
– Do ensure your website is set up properly. This means having all the backend keywords and structure needed to ensure your success. If you aren’t familiar with the process, engage someone with experience.
– Do make sure your blog posts include the date they were published.
– Do ensure each blog post has a permalink for later reference.
– Do make sure your blog articles have article schema markup attached.
– Do write catchy titles that are also informative.
– Do use relevant, captivating, and original pictures.
– Do include a call-to-action, encouraging readers to explore the rest of your site.
The Don’ts of Blogging
– Don’t use language that’s too technical for the average person to understand or relate to. You’re an expert, but if readers aren’t, technical language disengages.
– Don’t use very large paragraphs. They’re hard to read on a screen.
– Don’t ignore feedback or analytics data, it reveals if your approach is working.
– Don’t copy content from other websites. Plagiarized content harms you in search engine rankings and organic ratings.
Maintaining a successful blog can be a time-consuming challenge. Turn to the experts to help you. With their knowledge of SEO and blog construction, IMPACT Digital Marketing works with you to create pertinent, timely blog content that packs a punch with readers. Get started on a customized marketing plan for your Michigan business!