The Google Page Experience update goes into effect in May 2021. Here’s how this new Google update will impact your SEO.
Google first announced its “Google Page Experience” update in May 2020. It is now imminent, as it is scheduled for May 2021. So, what should you expect from this refresh of the Mountain View giant’s algorithms? What impact will it have on your SEO?
Before answering these questions, let’s first talk about the Google Page Experience.
What is the Google Page Experience?
Google describes the Page Experience update as, “a set of signals that measure how users perceive the experience of interacting with a web page beyond its purely informational value.” Simply put, Google will add a set of new signals to its algorithm. This will result in better rankings for websites that are fast, easy to use, and well-designed.
- The new update also builds on Google’s existing user experience signals. These signals are essentially: mobile friendliness, secure browsing, HTTPS, and pages that load fast.
- Google even mentioned the addition of new “visual indicators” in its search results (SERPs). These indicators will be used to highlight pages with an excellent page experience score.
- Metrics around loading speed and usability will also be refined. These new metrics are called “Core Web Vitals.”
Understanding the Core Web Vitals
Core Web Vitals or Essential Web Signals are Google’s new metrics for determining whether a page’s experience is good or not. The Core Web Vitals include three criteria:
- LCP (Largest Contentful Paint): LCP, or loading performance, refers to the largest visible image or block of text on a page. It determines when the main part of the page was displayed on the screen. Google recommends that sites have an LCP that occurs within 2.5 seconds from the start of the page load.
- FID (First Input Delay): FID is used to measure interactivity. Google measures the time between a person interacting with your site (clicking a button, scrolling, etc.) and the time the site begins to respond. This latency can be the result of the browser working on other tasks, such as loading other parts of a web page. To provide a good page experience, sites should strive for a score of less than 100 milliseconds.
- CLS (Cumulative Layout Shift): CLS, or visual stability, measures how much the window elements move as the page loads. For example, if your visitor tries to click on a link and it moves. CLS tells you whether or not users can interact with the page properly. To have a good page experience, you should aim for a SLC score below 0.1.
What Doesn’t Change with Google Page Experience?
Before Google Page Experience, web pages were already ranked based on scores for:
Whether the website and its landing pages work well on cell phones. Google’s Mobile-First index now penalizes sites that are not mobile-friendly.
Whether the site does not use deceptive practices or malware. The site should also not allow security holes that hackers could exploit at the expense of visitors.
If the site uses the HTTPS protocol.
Site Loading Time:
Whether the site does not use pop-ups or other types of content that slow down the loading of content expected by the visitor.
The addition of the Core Web Vitals means that when Google Page Experience is deployed in May 2021, we will have 7 key signals to monitor for SEO.
How Big Will the Google Page Experience Be?
Google’s Panda update affected about 12% of search queries. The BERT update affected about 10% of all search queries. What will be the impact of Google Page Experience on search engine results? It’s hard to say at this stage, but we can rightly think that it will be significant.
Google officials have already stated that this update is not designed to target pages that already have great content. Instead, sites with high-quality content should rank even higher in the SERPs once the update is rolled out.
Regardless, the rule still applies: the more quality content you produce, the better you’ll rank. Content is still king and will continue to play a central role in search engine rankings, and that’s regardless of the updates Google makes to its algorithm.
Need to do an SEO audit of your site to make sure you are up to Google Page Experience standards? Contact Impact Digital Marketing in Michigan for more information about how we can help.
With millions of users turning to Google every day for instant information, the global market is now able to take advantage of this to grow their business. Since Google is only a click away, advertisers and marketing agencies are combatting with one another to land on the top page of the search result in order to increase brand awareness and gain visibility so that users can find them for the products or services they offer, and eventually grow their revenue.
The most common and effective way for marketers to instantly get on the top of the Google search results page is by biding for their place using the Google Ads platform that serves PPC ads. Whenever someone searches for information, Google will show or decide to position your ad against other advertisers depending on your ad’s relevancy, landing page, keyword bid, and expected click-through-rate.
Now does this sound complicated? Well, you will be surprised to know that this is just the surface. Running PPC ads are a great way to grow valuable traffic and revenue if done with a well-thought-out strategy plan, robust optimization, and managed by a professional digital marketing agency.
SEO or SEM or Both?
If you don’t have experience in performing competitor analysis, keyword research, and draft average CPC’s of your keywords, then setting up your PPC ads will only jeopardize your budget. Moreover, you won’t be seeing any results.
It takes an experienced Google Ads specialist with a wealth of experience and knowledge to plan a strategy that works, make effective sharp decisions, and optimize your account in order for the campaigns to be as successful as they should be.
Here are some good reasons to hire a professional PPC team to manage your ad campaign:
- They know how to plan out an effective strategy that works
- They know how to choose keywords that will produce the best results
- They know how to draft an ad or ads that will get more results
- They know how to build credibility with the PPC platform
- The expert can provide you more free time to focus on other aspects of your business.
When you are ready to invest in PPC campaigns, make sure that you hire a digital marketing agency in Michigan or near your location with years of hands-on experience in managing PPC ads for companies like yours. IMPACT Digital Marketing is a marketing agency in Michigan, that specializes in providing PPC management and digital marketing services that can help your business get maximum ROI and sales.
For further information, you can visit https://impactdms.com/
Contact us today to begin the process!